Thursday 27 March 2014

Kashmiri Kadam ka saag (Ganth gobhi/Kohlrabi)


Before I got married Ganth gobhi or Kohlrabi was just a part of salad. My husband hails from Jammu and Kashmir and has stayed for a long time in a small township called Jyotipuram. His roots and the influence of Kashmiri neighbours can be seen very easily in the usual menu at my in-laws place. Intially I had to develop a taste for the Kashmiri cuisine but now I can't get enough of it.
It is usually simple to cook. Here's how the kadam ka saag is made.

Ingredients:

Kohlrabi/ Ganthgobhi- 2 (along with the leaves)
Mustard oil- Pleanty
Hing/Asafoetida powder- a few pinches or more depending on how strong you want the flavour
Salt- to taste
Fennel seed powder/saunf powder- 3/4 teaspoon
Ginger powder/ soond powder- 1/2 teaspoon
Kashmiri red chilly powder- to taste
Green chillies- optional
Water

Process:

Peel and cube the kohlrabi. Wash and crush the leaves properly.



In a pressure cooker add a generous quantity of mustard oil, heat well and first fry the cubes and later the leaves and keep aside. (You can choose to skip the frying completely. If you do choose to skip it then in the oil cook the cubes and leaves for sometime.)




Now in the remaining oil add the hing, and all the ingredients except water. Cook for a few seconds and add the fried vegetable. Roast for a minute and add just enough water to cover the kohlrabi. Cook for about 2 whistles and it is done. Before serving taste and adjust the flavours. 
* I usually add a few pinches of saunf powder just before serving. 

Serve with rice.

   

9 comments:

  1. Hi, thanks for the recipe! Would you know where would we get Kohlrabi/ Ganthgobhi in Bombay?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could help you with that. I think you can find it in winters along with other greens or look for places that sell special/exotic/rare vegetables. All the best in your search. I assure you, the taste would be worth the effort.

      Delete
    2. Ganthgobi is available with almost all vegetable vendors (mostly the ones which sell green leafy veggies) in Mumbai... Supermarkets like hypercity also stock on Ganthgobi. I bought some yesterday.

      Delete
    3. You can get ganth gobhi in winters in vashi apmc.

      Delete
    4. You can get ganth gobhi in vashi apmc market in winters.

      Delete
  2. Can anyone plz tell me its Malayalam name.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I M from jyotipuram (reasi). Kvk jyotipuram studied

    ReplyDelete
  4. REALY THIS IS VRY DELICIOUS DISH
    I M LOVING IT

    ReplyDelete