Sunday 24 August 2014

Palak-Paneer bhurji (Spinach with cottage cheese)



I love palak-paneer a lot but I always had issues with how we always over-cook the spinach and make most of the nutrition go away. That's the reason I tried this version. I loved the result, you try it and tell me what you feel about it.
Ingredients:
Fresh spinach- washed and chopped (I used 300 grams)
Onion- chopped
Tomatoes- chopped
Ginger- about 1/2 an inch piece
Garlic- 4-5 big pods
Cumin seeds- 2-3 pinches
Cottage cheese/Paneer- the amount you want to use, mashed or minced
Salt
Chilly powder
Coriander powder
Red chilly powder
Garam masalaOil for cooking

Method:
In a kadhai, heat oil and add cumin seeds. Once they turn brown, add the chopped onions and fry till they are almost golden. Add the ginger and garlic, followed by the chopped tomatoes. Cook this mixture well till it leaves oil. Now add the salt, red chilly powder, coriander and cumin powder. Add the chopped spinach to this and toss for a minute or two at max. Add the paneer and mix well. Cook for another minute or two for the paneer to absorb all the flavours. Add the garam masala in the end and serve.
* I usually let any dish stay for at least 20 minutes before serving. I feel it somehow helps in all the flavours blending together.

3 comments:

  1. I will try this and it will be my first palak paneer.

    And also, you really need to enlighten me on the difference between a kadhai and a wok (I had to google Kadhai and except for size, it seems to be the same thing? Do I need-need it for my upcoming Indian cuisine trials? Or could I use a wok?)

    ...i really hope I m not offending you and I m sending goodnight kisses!

    xx lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kadhai is Indian, where as Wok is chinese ;) Jokes apart, go ahead and use any heavy bottomed pan. Happy cooking :)

      Delete
  2. you know, to post a comment one has to verify that one is not a robot.

    I ve been asked to proof not being a robot so many times now - I wasnt sure anymore... but then it asked me to "select all images showing pizza" and that remembered me on how little of a robot I truly am

    xx!

    ReplyDelete